Thursday, March 31, 2022

Toot toot! Hard Work Paying off! 149 days, 16 hours until start.

 

Just a quick mid week update because I am super excited about what I did in the pool Tuesday morning. 

I have been attending a swim group since the fall coached by a world champion triathlete, and friend. She is certified in the swim smooth method. Every session we have done time trials to determine our Critical Swim Speed (CSS) which is the 100m pace you should be able to hold in a wetsuit allowed 1500m race, in other words the aerobic threshold.

The time trial is done after a good warm up which includes a few drills and a bit of non-exhaustive speed work. After a bit of rest the 400m is done first. You can see my time was 8:42 which is an improvement from me previous best of 8:50. After resting for 6 minutes I completed the 200m in 4:13 which slower than my best of 4:08.

There's a calculator online that you plug these values into and now my new aerobic threshold pace is 2:14! The first time I did this test in the fall I was 2:22 (even with the faster 200 time). I have been doing my best to swim consistently twice a week and focusing on longer sets. 

I know there is still lots of work I can do on my stroke to make it more efficient, but I am excited that what I have done so far is working. Now to translate that to 3.86km of success!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Woody's RV Half Marathon Race Report. 95 days 13 minutes to start

 On May 22, 2022 I ran the half marathon in Red Deer as a training run. This was the first half marathon I have ever done and I have lost co...