Friday, March 18, 2022

So, What's the Plan? 162 days, 19 hours until start.

If you know me, you know I like to plan. If you know racing, the you also know you need to have a plan. Some people can wing it, and I have done some races with little to no actual training, but approaching an Ironman this way is above my pay grade. Behold what I think is the best book out there! 

This book has plans from the sprint to iron distance as well as off season maintenance and strength. For the triathlon plans there are 10 levels of intensity. The higher the number the greater the intensity in number, duration and quantity of workouts, length  For this race I am following a modified version of level 3. There are 3 workouts each for swim, bike and run. Because of my schedule I am only going to swim twice a week. 


My general plan is as follows:
Monday - run 
Tuesday - swim and bike
Wednesday - run and strength (group fitness class)
Thursday - bike
Friday - swim and run or brick 
Saturday - bike
Sunday - rest

I teach group fitness classes or train clients Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Because I am on my feet already, those will be single workout days of a lower intensity. Eventually Fridays will become a long run alternating with brick workouts, and Saturdays will be the long ride. Swimming may move from Friday to Thursday. There will also be children's activities and vacations to work around, but this is the general idea. I will be following what the book has laid out for length and intensity of the workouts though, even though the days will be shuffled around. 

That being said, I will make taking care of my RA the top priority and if I need to back off or skip a workout that's what I will do. Because I don't like deviating from a plan, that will be hard for me, but if I make deviating from the plan part of the plan then it's easier. Follow that?

4 comments:

  1. Excellent! Looking forward to following along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excited to follow you on this journey. I so respect your drive and commitment!

    ReplyDelete

Woody's RV Half Marathon Race Report. 95 days 13 minutes to start

 On May 22, 2022 I ran the half marathon in Red Deer as a training run. This was the first half marathon I have ever done and I have lost co...